The default page margin setting for Microsoft Word 2007-2010 need to be adjusted for an MLA formatted paper.
To format document margins to MLA style standards:
Click the Page Layout Tab and in the Page Setup section, click the dialog box launcher.
In the Page Setup dialog box in the Margins section apply the following settings:Top: 1"
Note: to permanently change the settings to 1" Top, Bottom, Left, and Right margins:
- Select the Set As Default button in the lower right corner.
- In the Microsoft Word dialog box, the question will appear, Do you want to change the default settings for page setup?
- Click Yes
- Formatting font style and size
- Line and paragraph spacing
- Formatting document margins
- Headers and page numbering
- Indenting in Word