The Word 2007-2010 default Paragraph settings need to be formatted to MLA style standards. This includes reducing the spacing after a paragraph to zero, and changing line spacing to double spaced.
Both paragraph formatting and line spacing are controlled in the same window.
From the Home Tab in the Paragraph section
- Click the Paragraph Dialog box launcher. This will open the Paragraph dialog box.
- In the Spacing section, change the After: to 0 pt.
- In the Line spacing: section use the drop-down menu to select Double.
Note: to permanently change the formatting to Spacing After 0 pt and Line spacing: Double for all future documents:
- Select the Set As Default button in the lower right corner.
- In the Microsoft Word dialog box, click All documents based on the Normal template? This will set the formatting for all future Microsoft Word documents to the paragraph settings you defined.
- Click OK
- Formatting font style and size
- Line and paragraph spacing
- Formatting document margins
- Headers and page numbering
- Indenting in Word